Compare home insurance

Quotes comparison made easy

Households that fail to move their insurance regularly overpay by more than £1400 a decade.

Get a quote
Hastings Direct Endsleigh AXA British Gas GoSkippy One Call

Compare cheap home insurance quotes today - no hassle, no obligation

50% of customers were quoted less than £140[2] on their home insurance

Get quotes from over a hundred of the leading insurance providers

Get a quote, switch and save with our tool in just 5 to 10 minutes

Home insurance comparison - getting a quote that's right for you and your home

Compare home insurance deals across the market on A Spokesman Said to make sure everything from your new kitchen to a flat screen TV is properly covered.

Accidents happen and whether it's a fire, burglary or just some red wine spilt on the floor, you need protection.

We'll show you quotes from hundreds of the UK's leading buildings and contents insurance providers, including Hastings Direct, AXA and Endsleigh, helping you find the right cover for your property.

Will switching home insurance save me money ?

A house is the most expensive purchase most of us will ever make.

Even once you're on the ladder, the bills can keep rising.

Whether you're in a mobile home or a stately manor, regularly comparing home insurance to find the cheapest deal ensures your premium doesn't shoot through the roof.

A Spokesman Said can help you find the right home insurance policy for your property, at the right price.

By taking a few minutes to compare quotes on the free tool, you can make sure your premium is fairly priced and, if it's not, switch to one that is.

You can join the 51% of customers who were quoted less than £149 a year on their house insurance.*

What do I need to switch home insurance ?

Have the following personal details to hand to make your house insurance switch is a success:

  • The date your property was built (found in your mortgage survey or buyers report)
  • The date you moved in
  • The type of locks and security features you have fitted
  • Details of any claims you've made
  • The overall cost of your belongings and details of any valuables
  • Number of occupants

What's the best cover for my home?

Finding the best home insurance cover for your property can be difficult.

You can choose from contents insurance or buildings insurance or both, landlord insurance, if you let a property you own or have a mortgage on to tenants, and holiday home house insurance.

The type of cover you need depends on several factors, such as how much your items are worth, whether you need accidental damage and if you're a flood risk.

We've tried to answer any questions you might have in our guides on how to choose home insurance and switching home insurance: why you should do it and what you need to know.

Buildings and contents insurance – what's the difference?

The difference between buildings and contents can be confusing, especially if you're a first-time buyer or a beginner when it comes to insurance.

Knowing what's covered by buildings and what's covered by contents insurance is important.

Typical house insurance customers will want both, but you can choose to buy one alone.

Buildings insurance is a must-have if you own your own property.

The general rule is: if you turn your property upside down and shake it, anything that stays put is defined as 'buildings' and anything that drops out of place is 'contents'.

Buildings insurance

Buildings insurance, then, covers permanent fixtures such as your kitchen and bath, and any damage caused by flood, fire, theft or bad weather.

If you've got an outbuilding – a shed, a garage or a greenhouse, for example – check if your policy extends to these features.

While buildings insurance will cover damage to the structure of your home, it will not normally cover wear and tear.

We recommend you check the small print for exclusions. It's common for insurance policies to contain clauses about how long your home can be left unoccupied for. Leave your property empty for longer than your policy allows, and your insurer may refuse to pay out for any damage done in the event you need to make a claim.

Tenants, it's your landlord's job to organise this type of cover so you should focus on contents insurance only.

Contents insurance

Contents insurance protects valuables within your property; furniture, lamps, bicycles or televisions, jewellery and clothes, for instance.

It usually covers against theft, fire, accidental damage, water leaks and vandalism.

While some policies may replace your locks if your keys are lost or stolen, the excess may end up higher than the cost of getting a new key cut yourself, so always check first.

Some insurance policies will cover your contents when they're taken abroad, either on holiday or a business trip, when they're left in the boot of your car or when you take them to university.

The bottom line is: before switching to a new insurance policy, make sure you know exactly what you're covered for.

Home insurance extras

As with car insurance, home insurers offer a range of optional extras, including accidental damage cover, home emergency and legal expenses.

Some policies will offer these as standard, while others will cost extra.

Before switching, do your research and work out whether the additional protection is something you really need.

What is accidental damage cover?

The definition of accidental damage is standardised across all home insurance policies: damage that happens abruptly because of an unexpected and non-deliberate external action.

In simple terms, it means an unintentional, one-off accident that damages your property or its contents.

It's worth bearing in mind before you switch that it doesn't include general wear and tear or mechanical failure.

What is home emergency cover?

Home emergency cover provides an important helpline for when you urgently need something fixed by a trained tradesperson.

Emergencies typically include: burst pipes; broken windows; problems with your energy supply; blocked drains; broken boilers and roof or structural damage caused by extreme weather. But, as ever, exactly what's covered will depend on the specifics of your policy.

If you're in rented accommodation, it's your landlord's responsibility to have adequate cover in place.

What is legal expenses cover?

Legal expenses cover protects you for legal fees incurred due to a problem at or concerning your property.

You might, for example, need to take a builder you've employed to court because they've missed deadlines and leave you with substandard and incomplete work.

Having legal expenses cover means your insurer will help cover any lawyers' fees.

Your insurer would also help in the event you sued someone for mis-selling you your home, or if someone has an accident and injures themselves while visiting your property.

Keep in mind, though, that this level of cover won't pay any settlement you have to make.

Different insurers will offer different policy exclusions. For example, many won't cover legal disputes such as libel or divorce.

Home insurance auto-renewal (don't fall for it)

Here's a home truth: if you've been auto-renewing your policy with your home insurer for years, you're probably getting overcharged.

It's time to switch.

You may feel it gives you peace of mind, but auto-renewing your policy is an invitation to your provider to raise prices and charge you whatever it wants, regardless of whether your claims history or personal details have changed.

Despite an investigation by the Financial Conduct Authority, the elderly are still the most likely to auto-renew and end up overpaying.

From 1 April 2017, you have been given the upper hand. For the first time, your insurer must display last year's renewal price on your letter.

You can compare the new price to the amount you paid last year and see whether it has gone up (it will have done) and whether your insurer has explained the price hike (it won't have done).

Check your bill carefully, and do the same for friends and family. If your insurance quote has risen in price, make sure you compare premiums and find a cheaper deal online.

Making a home insurance claim

If you need to make a claim, the sooner you contact your insurer to let them know what's happened and request a claim form the better.

Demonstrate you're actively looking to minimise future risk by taking steps to reduce any further loss or damage. This includes:

  • Reporting any criminal actively involved to the police immediately. The police will give you a reference number, without which your insurer may be unwilling to pay out.
  • Keep a paper trail (receipts, for example) throughout your claim detailing what has happened and what everything has cost.
  • Keeping in regular contact with your insurer throughout the process, submitting any supporting evidence.

Make a complaint about your home insurer

You can use A Spokesman Said's free tool to make a complaint about your home insurer.

Whether you've had difficulty switching to a new provider, your current insurer is refusing to pay out on a valid claim, or you're unhappy at the level of customer service, we can help you demand action.

Your complaint will be posted live on our site and will help other customers make an informed decision on their home insurance provider.

Complaints can be shared on social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook to encourage the insurer to do the right thing.

We even handpick some of our cases and contact the insurer on your behalf to demand they resolve your complaint.

If you need our help with your home insurer, use our free complaints tool to publicise your issue.

*51% of consumers who obtained a quote for Home Building & Contents Insurance in February 2020 were quoted less than £149.83.