PETROL PRICE SURGE: Here's the 20 cheapest places for fuel
Petrol prices have surged to their highest level per litre for almost 20 years.
April was the third month in a row where fuel costs skyrocketed - this time by an eye-watering 5.44p-a-litre on average.
As if having to contend with loads of speed cameras, smart motorways, congestion charges, pollution charges and tolls just to go over bridges like the ruddy Dartford Crossing wasn't enough, petrol is becoming more valuable than a blood diamond.
Despite motorists being stung from all sides, since February this year petrol prices have increased by 8.5p-a-litre from 119.54p to 128.06p.
The big four supermarket fuel retailers – Asda, Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsbury – increased prices by 5.58p-a-litre from 118.62p to 124.20p and diesel also rose by 4.1p from 127.47 to 131.57p.
The reality is, it's no longer even an option for many motorists, especially those travelling long distances, to fill up at a big brand petrol station.
This bank holiday weekend, millions of motorists will have been driving across the country and finding that they were going to end up paying around £80 to put enough fuel in the tank.
But just in case you're planing a long drive any time soon, here are the 20 cheapest places to get fuel in the UK:
20 cheapest places for petrol:
- Ryde, Isle of Wight - 118.9p (lowest) 119.3p (average)
- Leyland, Lancashire - 119.7p (lowest) 120.6p (average)
- Halesworth, Suffolk - 119.9p (lowest) 120.6p (average)
- Leigh, Greater Manchester - 118.9p (lowest) 120.7p (average)
- Loanhead, Midlothian - 120.7p (lowest) 121.1p (average)
- Haslingden, Lancashire - 120.8p (lowest) 121.1p (average)
- Penicuik, Midlothian - 120.9p (lowest) 121.2p (average)
- Cwmbran, Torfaen - 1.9.9p (lowest) 121.2p (average)
- Renfrew, Renfrewshire - 119.9p (lowest) 121.6p (average)
- Broadford, Highland - 120.9p (lowest) 121.6p (average)
- Harworth, Nottinghamshire - 120.7p (lowest) 121.7p (average)
- Kilbirnie, North Ayrshire - 120.9p (lowest) 121.9p (average)
- Ramsgate, Kent - 117.9p (lowest) 121.9p (average)
- Hunstanton, Norfolk - 121.9p (lowest) 121.9p (average)
- Wednesbury, West Midlands - 120.7p (lowest) 121.9p (average)
- Banbridge, County Down - 118.9p (lowest) 122p (average)
- Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire - 119.9p (lowest) 122p (average)
- Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire - 120.7p (lowest) 122.1p (average)
- Tetbury, Gloucestershire - 121.9p (lowest) 122.1p (average)
- Willenhall, West Midlands - 120.7p (lowest) 122.1p (average)
20 cheapest places for diesel:
- Shildon, County Durham- 127.9p (lowest) 127.9p (average)
- Hawes, North Yorkshire - 128p (lowest) 128p (average)
- Annan, Dumfries & Galloway- 127.9p (lowest) 128.1p (average)
- Broadstairs, Kent - 126.9p (lowest) 128.4p (average)
- Epping, Essex- 126.8p (lowest) 128.5p (average)
- Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire - 127.9p (lowest) 128.5p (average)
- Cardigan, Ceredigion - 127.9p (lowest) 128.6p (average)
- Ramsgate, Kent - 126.9p (lowest) 128.6p (average)
- Atherstone, Warwickshire - 127.9p (lowest) 128.7p (average)
- Crymych, Pembrokeshire - 127.9p (lowest) 128.9p (average)
- Maghera, County Londonderry - 127.9p (lowest) 129.2p (average)
- Antrim, County Antrim - 128.9p (lowest) 129.4p (average)
- Dewsbury, West Yorkshire- 127.7p (lowest) 129.5p (average)
- Chard, Somerset - 128.9p (lowest) 129.5p (average)
- Dromore, County Down - 127.9p (lowest) 129.6p (average)
- Dukinfield, Greater Manchester - 128.9p (lowest) 129.6p (average)
- Carrickfergus, County Antrim - 128.9p (lowest) 129.7p (average)
- Leigh, Greater Manchester- 128.7p (lowest) 129.7p (average)
- Calne, Wiltshire - 126.9p (lowest) 129.7p (average)
- Leyland, Lancashire- 128.7p (lowest) 129.7p (average)
Kitty Bates, of PetrolPrices.com, which compiled the research, said."Fuel prices can vary massively across the country; it can vary up to 30p a litre between the cheapest station and the most expensive motorway station.
"Checking for the cheapest or best value station near you, en route or at your destination can save you money."
Here at A Spokesman Said we love fighting for your rights and believe passionately in natural justice.
But these battles cost us money. You could help us fund these fights by using our price comparison site, A Spokesman Said for your energy, car insurance and household bills.
We’re just the same as Go Compare or any other price comparison site, so you won’t be losing out in any way - by helping us, you will be helping yourself.
Thank you for your support.
When did you last switch your car insurance provider?
Last year 65% of customers didn't switch their car insurance to try and get a better deal.